Sunday, August 21, 2011

In Support of Educo Africa

I will be doing my Angola Journey in support of Educo Africa.

Educo Africa is a not for profit organisation working predominantly with young South Africans who are largely from disadvantaged communities.  Their wilderness based experiential learning programmes aim to “promote active citizenship”.   

I had the great privilege of being invited on one of the Educo Africa wilderness trails last year as an observer.  I witnessed the participants deepening their journeys of personal growth, finding their voices and telling their stories.  During the course of the week the young participants all found their own unique leadership styles.  As is so often the case, the wilderness environment “held” the process and provided a rich backdrop to the journey of the group.

I have chosen to support Educo Africa because I believe that they offer a deeply growthful experience to their participants.  It provides many levels of challenge yet in a nurturing and safe environment.  Such a contrast to military service in the SADF.  People who think military service is “character building” should really experience the kind of wilderness-based learning delivered by Educo Africa.

If you would like to find out more or make a financial contribution please follow the link below, or contact me directly.

No comments: